Mets Leak New iKedavisBy: Brendan Bilko
While the overall product may change in the future, we can confirm that last night’s first baseman was the real Ike Davis. It’s clear that the features of this leaked, next-generation first baseman are entirely new and different from those possessed by players platooning the position before him. Here are our brief findings:
What change will we see at this position
- Ike can actually hit a baseball – wOBA of .426 in ’09 (AA) and was hitting .364/.500/.636 in Buffalo before leaked to New York last night.
- Natural first baseman with the potential for plus defense.
- Has never been seen using a mouth full of chaw.
- Will wear number 29.
- Rocks AC/DC before at bats.
What change won’t we see
- Ike strikes out. A lot. He had a K% of 29.0% last season at the AA level. His BB/K was at an unsustainable 1.8 this season prior to being leaked. That was in 33 AB’s.
- Cannot change water into wine.
- Unable to cure blindness.
Why we think he’s definitely real
We were just as skeptical—if not more—than all of you. We get false tips here at Survivng the Citi all the time. But after being at the stadium and watching him play last night—the overall quality looks exactly like a hyped and slightly unpolished New York baseball prospect. On the fourth pitch he ever saw in the bigs, he took it for a ball. Chatter of “Now THAT’S a big league eye right theah!” was abound. There is so much potential and so much hope on his shoulders that there is very little doubt in our mind that he isn’t anything but the real thing.
Currently we are still waiting on a letter from the Bisons asking for their leaked Ike Davis back. Until we get one and have to return him, he will be our everyday first baseman. Welcome to New York Ike.